Should I get Invisalign?
Invisalign, also called clear braces or invisible braces is one of the most innovative advances in modern dentistry because these clear aligners straighten your teeth without traditional metal brackets.
What is Invisalign, and how does it work?
Dr. Frank utilizes a series of clear, plastic, removable “aligners,” which are computer generated to gently and progressively alter the position of your teeth until they are correctly aligned. Constructed from comfortable BPA-free plastics, Invisalign gradually moves your teeth into their new positions by exerting gentle pressure. You are given new aligners every few weeks throughout your treatment. There are no wires or brackets to irritate the sensitive mouth and gum tissue as there are with traditional braces.
What are the benefits of Invisalign?
There are so many benefits to straightening your teeth with Invisalign!
- The most obvious benefit is that they are virtually invisible. The clear aligners are difficult to spot, unlike traditional metal braces.
- Invisalign is far more comfortable than metal braces. With the clear aligners, there is no damage to the soft tissue of the mouth and gums.
- You can eat what you want! Since the aligners are removed when eating, you can still eat and drink all of your favorite foods.
- You will make fewer office visits with Invisalign than with traditional braces because fewer adjustments need to be made.
It’s easy to maintain a high standard of oral health with Invisalign. Simply remove the aligners and brush and floss as usual. There are fewer cavities to contend with post-treatment than with metal braces.
- Tooth discoloration is common with metal braces, but not with Invisalign!
- If necessary, you can even remove the aligners for a special occasion such as a wedding, graduation, etc.
- Treatment is usually much quicker with Invisalign than with metal braces.
In addition to the above benefits, Invisalign is an excellent choice for your overall oral health because:
- after treatment, your gums will fit better around your teeth
- there is a reduced likelihood of cracking or chipping your teeth
- you will have a balanced bite
You’ve listed the pros. Are there any cons to Invisalign?
One of the biggest pros of Invisalign is also a con – they are removable. This means that their success is dependent on you wearing them for at least 22 hours per day for quick and effective results. Every moment your aligners are not in your mouth, your teeth are not being straightened. If you’re responsible and diligent about wearing the aligners, Invisalign has no significant drawbacks.
How long will I have to wear Invisalign clear aligners?
As with any medical treatment, every patient is different. Overall treatment time varies based on your case’s complexity, diligence in wearing the aligners, cosmetic goals, and bite issues. Talk with Dr. Frank at your appointment to go over your case and determine how long you will have to wear your Invisalign clear aligners.
Am I a good candidate for Invisalign? What about my child?
Generally, Invisalign works best for people with common teeth and bite issues — crooked teeth, crowded teeth, spacing issues, etc. If you have severe over or underbite, or other major skeletal issues, then Invisalign may not be suitable for you. It is best to make an appointment with Dr. Frank to discuss your options.
If your child still has baby teeth, then Invisalign is not for them! Invisalign is only for permanent teeth.
Does Invisalign work?
Absolutely! If you are responsible for wearing your aligners, then you will be happily surprised at how quickly you see results. We are proud to offer both Invisalign and CandidPro clear aligners to our patients.
It’s possible to have the smile you’ve always dreamed of with Invisalign! Make an appointment with the team at Albany Smiles to begin your journey to a picture-perfect healthy smile.
At Albany Smiles, we also offer CandidPro clear aligner treatment. Not only do they straighten teeth, CandidPro clear aligners benefit airway health by creating transverse space, which opens the width of the arches, creating more room for the tongue. If you are diagnosed with sleep apnea, Dr. Frank may suggest a treatment that includes CandidPro clear aligners combined with Myofunctional Therapy.